The Plan

Update 2017. While we hoped we could revive this project it has not happened. If anyone is interested in taking over, please leave a comment.


Knit lots of hats and scarves for patients and survivors or breast and ovarian cancers to be donated to the Komen Foundation for the Cure, Philadelphia Affiliate. We fully support monetary fund raising efforts for the cure. But we also want to do something which will go directly to those who need to know there are people rooting for their health and survival. All skill levels are welcome!

Please join us! The 2011 project ends Sept. 15th.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The first hat: Mine's underway...

Hello everyone! It took me awhile to get Blogger figured out, so here's hoping this post goes up correctly.

I got started on the first hat late last week and it's looking pretty good so far.

Hats are not my forte--I've only made a few since I learned how to knit a couple years back--so I'm glad we're making them this year. I also like that they don't require much yarn, so I'll get to use up some of my stash! I'm using a soft and slightly stretchy turquoise microfiber for this one. It's not the sturdiest yarn, so I took time deciding how many stitches to cast on so that the hat wouldn't turn out floppy. (And the swatch I made stretched out in the process, so that didn't help.) Taking Tara's advice, I went with fewer rather than more stitches. It's a little snug, but smaller is better because it will stretch out. I'm about 2-3 inches from finishing.

I've already picked out several other yarns I'd like to use and, except for the turquoise yarn, they're all cotton.

These are either DK (3) or Worsted (4) yarns, but each knits up differently, so they might not all be right for hats. Still, I'm looking forward to trying them to find out! (P. S. If anyone has experience with mercerized cotton, let me know. Would it make a good hat you think? I'm not convinced.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cary - Thanks for posting! Your hat looks terrific. And all of your swatches... wow. They look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cary,
    I LOVE your swatch picture. Good work!
    -lisa

    ReplyDelete