The Plan

Update 2017. While we hoped we could revive this project it has not happened. If anyone is interested in taking over, please leave a comment.


Knit lots of hats and scarves for patients and survivors or breast and ovarian cancers to be donated to the Komen Foundation for the Cure, Philadelphia Affiliate. We fully support monetary fund raising efforts for the cure. But we also want to do something which will go directly to those who need to know there are people rooting for their health and survival. All skill levels are welcome!

Please join us! The 2011 project ends Sept. 15th.

Monday, May 23, 2011

First Hat example

My first hat is finished! I had to give up on my bamboo and pearl viscose yarn. It was so soft to knit with, but alas, just would not hold its shape. Looked like a wet wash cloth draped over the head. I switched to a Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. It's a blend of Cashmere and Marino wool. Very soft but holds it's shape beautifully.
I decided to go with my idea of not sewing the brim together and adding some apple blossoms. These are crocheted from a little left over yarn. I followed the pattern in the 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet book. You can find a link to purchase your own copy on the Library Page. The result of this little design is that the hat looks more like a cloche than a knitted winter hat, much more feminine. Just a thought....
Oh, and you can make your own mannequin too. All you need is a balloon (blown up to the size of your head) a paper cup for the neck, a roll of heavy paper for shoulders, plaster strips from the art store and voila! If you are clamoring for more precise directions - let me know, I can write something up. Also, she is not yellow anymore. I thought that color was a bit much. I've painted her a nice sky blue. Much easier on the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment