The Plan

Update 2017. While we hoped we could revive this project it has not happened. If anyone is interested in taking over, please leave a comment.


Knit lots of hats and scarves for patients and survivors or breast and ovarian cancers to be donated to the Komen Foundation for the Cure, Philadelphia Affiliate. We fully support monetary fund raising efforts for the cure. But we also want to do something which will go directly to those who need to know there are people rooting for their health and survival. All skill levels are welcome!

Please join us! The 2011 project ends Sept. 15th.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

The yarn exchange scarf in crochet

Hi all! I'm finally getting round to posting a few pictures of my completed yarn exchange scarf. I opted to use the crochet pattern -- it's so fantastic! The design is really lovely and I already have plans to make another as a Christmas gift.


I started the scarf using a repeat of 7 rows and it turned out a little shorter than I thought it would. So I added (1) a section of pink yarn I had left over from last year's scarf and (2) smaller sections using the rest of the exchange yarn. Now it's the perfect length and ready to keep someone very warm during the winter.

As D'Arcy mentioned in her scarf post, the best thing about this project was getting to use a wide variety of yarns. They all worked up so differently. I chose to use a smaller needle (size J) than what was called for in the project (size N) because I wanted a smaller, tighter weave.

Of all the yarns, the lavender variegated yarn (it looks a little blue in the image above) was by far my favorite. It's soft and wooly and really holds its shape. To whoever chose this yarn, I'd love to know what it is and where I can get it (or something similar).

Meanwhile, the hats are coming along. The warrior hat is on my needles as I type, and I've caught up on all the others. I've even crocheted a couple more just because. More pictures to follow!


1 comment:

  1. oooo Cary!!! It's beautiful beautiful!!!
    Gorgeous! So the lavender stuff is from me - I must have the label still somewhere. I'll let you know when I get home. One learns alot as one goes along in the project and I thought while I was dividing the yarns up that it would have been good to have labels for all them. Next time!

    ReplyDelete