The Plan

Update 2017. While we hoped we could revive this project it has not happened. If anyone is interested in taking over, please leave a comment.


Knit lots of hats and scarves for patients and survivors or breast and ovarian cancers to be donated to the Komen Foundation for the Cure, Philadelphia Affiliate. We fully support monetary fund raising efforts for the cure. But we also want to do something which will go directly to those who need to know there are people rooting for their health and survival. All skill levels are welcome!

Please join us! The 2011 project ends Sept. 15th.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Scarf exchange - update

Well it sounds like several of you are on their way. I found this scarf SUPER easy and fun. It was exciting to switch colors and see how the yarn would behave. I did the straight forward big block of color - but I really like D'Arcy's with the narrower stripes. However you decide to do your scarf it will be fabulous! So I mentioned another hat I tried after having some ends left after the scarf.
This is a very easy pattern- it's just the prep that requires some thought or planning.
About a year ago I couldn't bear to throw out the tiny extra yard or two of thread. It's terrible - but I feel so guilty. So I sorted the yarns I have into stuff I could knit with size 8 - 10 needles and stuff I would knit with 4 - 6 needles. I just knitted all the strands together and kept adding over the year. I had a hunch that with the scraps from this scarf I might be able to eek out a hat and I was right. It's not quite what I expected. I expected to have more of the little tufts. But if you don't want tufts you can adjust for that - and if you have a ball of ONLY wool - you can do the splice and spit.
The take-home message is: start your ball of scraps! This will be the last hat pattern. Before we get to that though, we have another guest pattern writer - wait 'till you see this hat! It's gorgeous!
Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment